Search This Blog

Friday, March 19, 2010

Pear and Arugula Pizza

Modified from "Cooking Light" Pear and Prosciutto Pizza

I was actually more inspired by the photo than the actual recipe. I made this pizza and I couldn't stop thinking about it. It's a great vegetarian choice and a promo for Trader Joes.

1 bag prepared Trader Joes pizza dough for $1! (or homemade, do not use Pillsbury)
1 7-8 oz ricotta cheese (I have a new obsession with TJ's ricotta but reduced fat Sorrento is also good. Don't use fat free)
dried or fresh thyme leaves
minced garlic (from jar or crushed fresh)
1/2 red onion, chopped
1-2 Bartlett pears, cored and thinly sliced
4-5 oz arugula or baby spinach (about half a bag), lightly chopped
balsamic vinegar or vinegarette
finely shredded mozzarella, preferably TJ's goat mozz

Preheat oven to 450 and heat pizza stone, if using. If using store-bought dough let it sit out for 20 minutes or until room temperature. Saute' onion in oil and garlic until caramelized. Remove from pan and add tbsp more oil and pears. Saute' until slightly brown and softened. Flour counter surface with cornmeal and roll out pizza dough into thin crust. Move dough to pizza stone or cookie sheet and bake 5-8 minutes until mostly done. Let cool slightly; otherwise your ricotta will run.

Spread ricotta cheese onto dough and top with thyme leaves. Evenly spread sauted onions and pears. Top with greens, and sprinkle dressing and cheese. Bake for another 5-8 minutes or until cheese is browned to liking. If crust starts to burn but cheese is not melted lower temp to 400 or broil for a few minutes (do not leave kitchen if you choose to broil!). Serve with a white wine. It is ab fab!

Tips: Chopping greens keeps the pizza from being a tower when you put it in the oven. I simply pile my greens (I always prefer spinach for the iron and nutrients) and quickly chop with a butcher's knife. The greens will wilt when cooked so they are manageable to eat. Do no, do not use fat free cheese for this recipe. Trader Joes also has a great low-fat mozzarella you can use, but reduced fat and fat-free cheese do not melt well. It is better for you to use a higher-fat cheese and use more sparingly. This recipe was the first time I used to goat mozzarella and loved it. The flavor went perfect with the pear and spinach.

Win choices: I am one of those strange people who love dry, red wines but do not like the meals that standardly go with them i.e. red meat. However, I love chicken and fish dishes but do not prefer the lighter, sweet, white wines that are recommended. I say go with what you like! I did recommend a white for this dish because the greens and pear and white cheeses paired very well with the Chardonnay I had in stock.

Variations: for a non-vegetarian dish, add pancetta to pizza before baking. I have also seen versions with feta or blue cheese. The goat mozzarella is enough kick for me :)



No comments:

Post a Comment