Search This Blog

Friday, March 19, 2010

Bowties and Spicy Broccoli Rabe with Crunchy Crumbs Recipe - Rachael Ray modification

Bowties and Spicy Broccoli Rabe with Crunchy Crumbs Recipe - Every Day with Rachael Ray

On a shoe-string budget? Vegetarian meals can help. This recipe was a pleasant surprise to me. It is amazing what a difference the crunchy crumbs make to the taste of this meal. I seasoned the crumbs with garlic salt and pepper but be wary of too much salt. I also substituted red pepper for red pepper flakes. You still get the extra kick, but I am more likely to have flakes in the house than a leftover red pepper.

Bowties with Spicy Broccoli

1 head/flower garlic
1-2 bunch broccoli rabe (I like to use two for more nutrition)
1/2 lb. bowtie pasta
course salt/pepper
1 red chili, chopped OR crushed red pepper
1 slice wheat bread or roll
8 oz ricotta cheese

In large sauce pan boil garlic, sleeves on, for 3 minutes. Fish our garlic with a slotted spoon and let cool. Once cool enough to handle, peal the garlic and cut cloves in half. Add broccoli rabe to water and boil for 5 minutes. Drain and rinse broccoli. If you want to use fewer pots, I put a steamer over the pot and cover for my broccoli while my garlic is boiling. This way I can use the same pot of water to boil my pasta. Be sure to reserve 1 cup pasta water before draining.

At first I was skeptical of boiling garlic, but it makes the garlic more palatable. One more thing you will learn about me is that I am never afraid of garlic. Garlic is God's gift to the Earth, and I use it. Garlic is very good for you at fighting cancers and keeping down cholesterol and blood pressure. And nothing smells like a kitchen more than garlic roasted in oil. Whole garlic is not as overwhelming as it sounds. Garlic powder is in fact dehydrated and more concentrated. I am more likely to use fresh garlic than powder to get a softer seasoning.

If you have a broccoli head you are needing to use, I would say go ahead and use it. However, I much prefer using rabe for this recipe. Broccoli rabe, also referred to as broccolini, is a more tender broccoli flower. I will cut and steam most of the stem to get more for my money. The stem is not as bitter as regular broccoli.

Heat 1 tbsp oil on medium. Wait until the oil is hot before adding the broccoli and garlic halves. Add chili or crushed red pepper, and course salt and pepper. Saute until the broccoli is tender and garlic is brown.

Another healthy tip is do not use all the recommended olive oil in recipes. As silly as it sounds, make sure to measure how much oil you use. A teaspoon is about all you need for most sautes. I am as guilty as anyone to just pour and move on, but olive oil calories build up fast. Keep a teaspoon measure next to your olive oil to keep yourself in check. One teaspoon is actually enough if you buy a good non-stick pan and make sure your pan is hot before adding vegetables. Olive oil is also great for your veins. Be sure to always use extra virgin and I actually prefer Trader Joes unfiltered = less processed. And the color is fabulous.

You will not need to use a whole pint of ricotta. I used Trader Joes ricotta, which is much smoother than other store-bought versions and acts more like an alfredo sauce. Unfortunately Trader Joes does not offer a reduced fat version. For a lighter ricotta, I highly suggest Sorrentos. Mix 8 oz of ricotta cheese with the reserved pasta water.

Add another tbsp oil to heated pan. Use a food processor to make bread crumbs from your leftover bread. I do not recommend store-bought bread crumbs because you won't get the same texture. Add crumbs to pan and heat until oil is absorbed and crumbs are crunchy.

Mix pasta, vegetables and ricotta mix together. Serve immediately with crumb topping.

Trader Joes checklist: pasta ($1), broccoli rabe ($6 for two), ricotta ($4 or use leftover) and head of garlic ($0.50) = dinner for two for around $10!

No comments:

Post a Comment