Search This Blog

Friday, April 16, 2010

Homemade Granola Breakfast

I got this recipe from Martha Stewart's Everyday magazine for Maple-Nut Granola. This is one of her easier granola recipes because it uses cabinet staples and you don't have to dig around some healthfood store for barley flakes and wheat bran.

A few things to note: I used more nuts than was recommended, about 1/2 cup each. I prefer more protein in the morning to keep me awake and full before lunchtime. I do use pecans and almonds, but you can also use walnuts. Be sure to use the raw, unsalted, unroasted kind. Otherwise they will taste overdone when baked with the granola. I also add a few sprinkles of cinnamon pieces or grated cinnamon stick. If you have it in stock, pour 1/4 cup of ground flax seeds in the mix. The good fat is great for your heart and helps you stay full in the morning.

And DO NOT cook granola for 30 minutes as recommended. I bake for about 15 minutes, stirring once when the granola smells very fragrant. Seriously, stay close to the oven when you bake this because it will burn easily. As your granola cools, it will get crisp.

I use about 1/3 - 1/2 cup of fat free Greek yogurt - Fage is my favorite but kind of expensive; Oikos is also good. Honestly, I would never recommend fat free anything, but this yogurt is so rich and the granola so flavorful, you really don't need the extra calories. If you try the fat free and don't like it, go with the 2% instead. Beware there are Greek yogurt brands that are VERY fatty; always check the label.

Stir in one packet of splenda or 1 tsp of honey (nature's sugar) in the yogurt. Top with a handful of granola and 1/2 - 1 whole banana, sliced. I am not one to eat the same things often, but this has been my daily breakfast for weeks at a time. It has the protein from the yogurt and nuts; whole grains from the oats and a whole serving of fruit. And it is very easy to transfer this breakfast to work or assemble at work if needed.

If you do tire of the same yogurt and granola breakfast, use the same ingredients to make Crunch Berry Pancakes. I know it sounds like a kid's cereal, but they are fantastic and not bad for you. Instead of blueberries and raspberries, I used fresh strawberries. I think this recipe will go with any kind of berry you have in stock. Just make sure you do chop the fruit to avoid lumpy pancakes. I did not use the butter or powdered sugar and they were sweet enough to eat without syrup. A perfect Sunday morning breakfast.

1 comment:

  1. Those pancakes look delicious! I am always looking for ways to make pancakes a little healthier (not too healthy though).

    ReplyDelete