Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Manly Vegetable Medley



























I am sure there are many men who enjoy hearty, healthy vegetables, but my husband is not one of them. I have a difficult time getting him excited about whole vegetable sides that are better for us than some veggies stirred into rice. So I was excited when I came upon a frozen vegetable side at Trader Joes that seemed "manly": roasted potatoes with green beans. I bought it for a steak he was going to grill.

This got me thinking about other vegetable medleys I can create with preferred vegetables. I was always under the assumption that sauteing vegetables required a lot of oil, but then I learned a new trick: broth. I found that I would add oil when my vegetables were sticking to the pan, but broth offers the same relief without the added calories.

This side is great for fish, vegetarian meats, such as soy nuggets, or any excuse to get your man to eat more whole vegetables.

Vegetable Medley

1 tsp minced garlic
1 minced shallot
1 pint sliced mushrooms
5-6 fingerling potatoes
1 bunch petite asparagus
1/4 broth (chicken or vegetable)
coarse salt and pepper
universal seasoning mix, such as Mrs. Dash

Set a pot of water to boil. Boil potatoes, whole, for 10-15 minutes or until they are easily pierced with a knife. The skins should not be coming off or you have boiled too long. Let potatoes cool.

Saute garlic in a nonstick pan. Add mushrooms and onion and 2 tbs broth. Cut asparagus into 2 inch pieces - be sure none of the asparagus is mushy. Cut far down the stalk until the centers are mostly white. Slice cooled potatoes. Once mushrooms are tender add asparagus and potatoes. Season with salt and pepper and seasoning mix. Trader Joes has a grinder with generic seasonings that works great. Stir vegetables until asparagus is bright green, 3-5 minutes. Add more broth if necessary to keep vegetables from sticking. Do not overcook or your vegetables will lose their nutrients. Be sure to taste test - I over-seasoned my first batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment