Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Sweet Potatoes


Guess what Atkins, sweet potatoes are good for us! Sweet potatoes, with skin, score a 485 on the healthiest vegetable list, scoring higher than broccoli and carrots. And the diet-preferred white cousin scores only a 53, just above parsnips and corn. Our problem is that most sweet potatoes are served with fattening and carb-loaded butter and brown sugar. But "sweet" potatoes don't actually have to be served sweet. Like it's orange-color lookalike - pumpkin - sweet potato can be use in a variety of recipes.

Here are a few sweet potato recipes for the fall season that give you the stellar nutrients of the root vegetable without creating a dessert for a main course.


My NCSU vegetarian foodie has a great vegetarian blog as well and her latest post are these delightful sweet potato quesadillas. I am not going to reprint the recipe since you should venture to her site anyway. I will say these were a delicious surprise to me. My husband loves sweet potatoes and encouraged me to try this recipe even though I was somewhat skeptical.

I added some CSA sweet peppers and used yellow onion, which seemed to pair nicely with the potato. I didn't push the spices too much since sweet potato was a very different take on Mexican. I used whole wheat tortillas, which held up well, and a low-fat Mexican cheese blend. I added a bit of water and covered the pan to steam the potato.

It is best served with guacamole and salsa. I haven't tried it with sour cream or Greek yogurt, but I imagine it is just as tasty. And they are very filling! We each had one and a half quesadillas and it was more than enough to satisfy us.



I know, how many lasagna recipes do I have already??? This is a Cooking Light recipe that I made using leftover sweet potatoes and butternut squash. This is also convenient for all the fall squash and potatoes I am getting with my CSA. This dish is slightly sweet but still savory and very tasty.

2 lb. butternut squash
1 lb. sweet potatoes
1 onion, chopped
3.5 cups 1% milk (do not substitute soy milk)
pinch nutmeg
pinch cinnamon
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup flour
salt and pepper
1 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
no-boil lasagna noodles
1 cup low-fat mozzarella, shredded

Conveniently, there is precut butternut squash and sweet potato sold at Trader Joes, but this recipe is good because it only requires what you would have leftover from another fall menu. I prefer to shred the sweet potato using a food processor - you can keep the skins on as long as they are well washed. I also bake my butternut squash (400 degrees for 45 minutes) and scoop out the pure. This avoids peeling and chopping hard squash and potatoes.

Let no-boil noodles sit in warm water while you prepare lasagna. Sauté onion in olive oil until caramelized. Gradually add shredded sweet potato and cover pan. Repeat until all sweet potato is sautéed and caramelized. Add sweet potato to butternut pure.

Add one tbsp olive oil to a medium pot. Heat to medium and add flour. Whisk flour with oil and gradually add milk. Milk mixture should thicken as you whisk. Add nutmeg, cinnamon and bay leaf to milk. Continue to heat for 10-15 minutes, whisking occasionally; mixture should simmer but never boil. Season with coarse salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Remove bay leaf and stir in parm cheese.

I have a new appreciation for freshly-grated Parmesan. A block of parm is cheaper and lasts longer than pre-grated parm. The cheese is also more savory and melts faster.

Preheat oven 350 degrees. Spoon 1/2 cup cheese sauce into the bottom of a lasagna pan. Layer no-boil noodles. Top with half squash/potato mixture, 1/3 cup mozzarella, and 1 cup cheese sauce and noodles. Repeat. Top noodles with remaining mozzarella. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Uncover and bake another 20 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. The vegetables actually taste better roasted. I wouldn't shred or pure the sweet potato or butternut squash. Bake at 400 for 25-30 minutes. I also roasted the garlic with it - keep clove whole to avoid burning (about half a bulb).

    ReplyDelete