Search This Blog

Monday, August 2, 2010

Real Mac-n-Cheese

I am revived! I was getting a little discontent with my food blog lately because I wasn't making the best-tasting vegetarian recipes or finding really unique ideas. But after a girls weekend and a replay of "Julie and Julia" I have revived my foodie spirit.

Another revelation I had this weekend was about mac-n-cheese. You may have noticed some of the organic and all-natural substitutes for Kraft's dinner staple, but I assure you NONE are as satisfying or palatable as the original "blue box". However, the delicious side dish suffers from being over-processed. A good solution is to make your own, you might say, but I have had more than a few bad experiences making gourmet mac-n-cheese recipes and had all but given up on my own creation.

However, sometimes it's good to go back to the basics: southern comfort. I have a co-worker who is an admitted non-cook: chopping vegetables is overbearing for her. But she does have some pot luck staples that she makes very well. One being macaroni and cheese. This is admittedly not the healthy choice I try to promote in my recipes, but it is vegetarian and it is a great way to get rid of your mac-n-cheese fix minus the processed go-to item.

Mac-N-Cheese ala Wilson
1 can Carnation evaporated milk, reduced fat
1 tbsp flour
4 eggs, preferably organic or cage-free
1 cup milk, at least 2% and organic
1 tbsp sugar
dry seasonings: garlic powder, cyanne pepper, and salt and black pepper
two cups each (16 oz):
shredded sharp cheddar e.g. Cracker Barrell
cubed velveta
shredded mild cheddar e.g. Kraft
1 lb. macaroni

Boil macaroni according to package instructions. Preheat oven for 375 degrees. Whisk evaporated milk, flour and eggs together. Add milk, sugar and seasonings. In a two (2) quarter casserole dish layer macaroni and cheeses. Keep cheeses separated so you know you are using an even amount of each. You should have about three layers depending on the depth of your dish. Pour egg mixture over the pasta. Make sure you don't overfill the dish. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until eggs are set.

This is a big hit with my husband's friends when they visit for the weekend. It is very boy-friendly food. I do my best to get them to eat a side of broccoli, which tends to go well with mac-n-cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment