Search This Blog

Monday, June 7, 2010

Black-eyed Pea Spinach Pie






























Even after some research I could not find where this recipe originated from. But it has been so modified that it is a true Ross recipe. I do not like black-eyed peas. I don't much like any peas, but my husband does. And this recipe is my one annual promise of peas on New Year's Day. It is a great dish for pot-lucks or holiday meals too.

Black-eyed Pea Spinach Pie

2 cans black-eyed peas, preferably organic
1 bag spinach
2 pie crust shells, such as Pillsbury
5 oz pepper-jack cheese, shredded
1 egg, beaten
1 white onion, diced
garlic
cilantro

Preheat oven 350 degrees. In a 9 inch pie plate fit one pie crust. Stab with a fork and bake for 8 minutes and let cool. Saute onion and garlic in 1 tsp oil. Add spinach and stir until wilted. Remove from heat. Stir in cheese, egg, cilantro, salt/pepper and peas. Fill the pie dish and top with the second pie crust. Cut slits in the top layer to vent. Bake 45 minutes. Cool before cutting.

Mama added three links of chicken sausage to the frying pan before mixing in the spinach. The sausage makes this dish a meal in itself, but it works better as a vegetarian side dish.

1 comment:

  1. I use a potato masher when I am mixing everything just to get the peas broke-up a bit. It helps keep the pie together when served.

    ReplyDelete